Resources

Sunday, January 23, 2011

We're Breathing for You

I have a friend in Winnipeg who is very ill and has been in the hospital for several weeks. She caught a respiratory viral infection and ended up with a collapsed lung. It's been very upsetting as I have slowly realized through bits and pieces of revealed narrative how serious things have been for her. Her friends have set up a website and an e-mail list for her so now she has 72 friends in a shared vigil that spans several provinces. The language of the e-mails is upsetting, but also comforting. G visits Pranna D. at 10 am, N and B visit at 2pm. J and S pick up her partner to feed him dinner. "She is eating well," someone reports, "She had an egg, some yogurt and a piece of toast." My friend is a yoga teacher, so a couple of people visit her and perform the gestures of pranic healing. One friend e-mails and tells us to meditate on breathing. Take three deep breaths and tell yourself you are breathing for her.

I have met one of her Winnipeg friends who is a writer. The three of us sheltered in the rain at the Regina Folk fest four years ago in a tiny tent I used in my first appearance as Madame Beespeaker. We laughed and shared snacks. Now A. will take my e-mail letters and read them to our friend, Pranna D. She is getting overwhelmed by visits and is now asking for cards and letters. We have a long history of writing by hand to each other, but I like the idea of A. reading my e-mails to Pranna D. I can be chatty and au courant. My goal in sending these letters is to take her mind off her situation, if only for a few moments. I want to create a virtual window on the world outside that hospital room.

My friend is a fighter. I know she will build on the stability that she's already won in the fight to breathe and to keep her CO2 levels down. She will draw in the energy her friends are giving her and she will put it to good use. And it's good for us all to take at least three breaths a day and send them to someone in the world.

No comments: