Resources

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Atonement

"It's funny to see the difference in what people buy before and after Christmas, " the cashier at Choices remarks. "Right now I'm seeing tons of vegetables, diet foods, vitamins, and protein drinks--lots of protein drinks." She should know. It's time for atonement. Time for wild rice cooked up with dried oyster mushrooms. Tofu cubes rolled in toasted sesame seeds, baked and served with orange bell peppers, carrots, over brown jasmine rice with tamari. Time to meditate over a bowl of rice and lentils. Time to oust the pasta and refined flours and sugars. It's a SHIFT, people. I feel better already!

Last night I made chunky apple sauce with some galas that were past their prime. The secret ingredient? Lots of cardamom. Just apples, cinnamon, and cardamom. Last night we had some fresh, warm applesauce for dessert. The perfect atonement.

I also tried to figure out a recipe for those power snowballs. I came up with this:

1 cup cashew butter (or any nut or seed butter)
1/2 cup toasted flaked unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup chia seeds
2/3 c oatmeal flakes whirled in the food processor
1/8 cup agave nectar

I think you need to adjust the amount of oatmeal according to how much oil is in the nut or seed butter.

I melted 2/3 cup white chocolate chips for the outer coating and rolled them in about 1/2 c coconut flakes.

No comments: