Resources

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Roses and Taxis


Fun times Friday night with Anankana Schofield and Helen Potrebenko, author of Taxi. I had a good time asking people about their own anecdotes relating to cabs and two separate stories related to taxis in Buenos Aires. Apparently the taxi drivers there are often quite interesting characters. Eleven people even bought copies of the book, which is part of what this performance is setting out to do. Helen was quite chuffed.

I read a Martha Grimes today, The Old Contemptibles, which was a good read for a cozy cat napping kind of day. Last night I watched an episode of Jericho of Scotland Yard called The Murder of Johnny Swan which I also enjoyed. If I was an academic, I think I would write a book about the role of food in murder mysteries. I love the way food often winds its way into character and plot in mystery novels--sometimes in quite disturbing ways such as in Norwegian writer Jo Nesbo's novel: The Devil's Star. A woman who used to work in kitchens realizes that the black drops coagulating in her boiling potato water are blood because her husband says it tastes like eggs (albumen). There is an even more disturbing reference to food later in the novel, but I'll leave that for you to discover. I am loving the Scandanavian mystery writers, as are many Canadians, according to this article: http://www.emb-norway.ca/News_and_events/News/Nordic-crime-novels---a-hit-in-North-America/

Tonight I had some Parisian Red Rooibus tea from Shaktea on ice with some cranberry juice which was really nice. You can really taste the rose petals in the tea. It would be good in a champagne cocktail, methinks.

No comments: