Resources

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Easy Peasy Paella

You know, paella is a lot simpler to make than I remember. It's based on much the same principal as chicken byriani, which I do know how to make. Now that I've made that connection I'm not so afraid of paella anymore. The trick is getting the rice to absorb the stock and adding in the fish at the end so it doesn't get overcooked. I made my stock with garlic, paprika, saffron, turmeric, a bay leaf, a couple of Tbs tomato sauce, chicken stock and white wine. Added some organic jasmine rice, then waited until it was about 7 minutes from finished absorbing the water and added pieces of cod, shrimp and crab. We had it with a lovely Spanish red and a simple winter salad.

Weird fact: Every year, several people in Japan seem to choke on New Year's mochi. You have been warned!

No comments: