Resources

Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Alchemy of Wontons

I bought a new cookbook from Banyen Books called Kitchen Alchemy: Transform Yourself Through Food by Ann Bowen-Jones and Phillippa Lee. I like the lush design and the thoughtful text which explores a mindful approach to eating, and preparing food. I loved the look of nearly every recipe, and wanted to try to make it at home, which is rare for me. I saw the recipe for squash wontons and knew that I wanted to make that first, so I roasted two delicata squash and also made some filling with free range unmedicated pork from Windsor Meats.

I fried some of the wontons, and boiled some for my slimming diet. The boys liked the wontons both ways, boiled and fried. Ules didn't like the water chestnuts in the pork filling, but I LOVE them. The delicata squash is so flavorful that all I added to the purée was salt. These wontons are fine with soya sauce, but I also made a sweet chili sauce with sri racha and J's quince glaze for the fried wontons. I served the wontons with fresh raw pea shoots.

P.S. I'm looking for a Security Guard costume for my next performance collaboration with Anakana on Friday, so if you see one in a thrift shop please let me know! Details to follow.

1 comment:

MB said...

wontons and a uniform! HOT!