Resources

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Prayer Flags, Artist Statement

It was at UBC Farm that I first learned the meaning of the word "phenology." One of the UBC students, Sarah B., made a chart on the door of the farm centre's kitchen marking the dates of events such as the first salmon berry blossom. Phenology is the study of coinciding plant and animal development as it relates to its seasonal manifestations. Coast Salish people say that song of the Swainson's Thrush makes the salmon berries ripen because the return of the thrush coincides with the ripening of the berries. Scientists study phenological data to observe the effects of climate change on the earth's ecosystems.

I am passionate about teaching children to be aware of the passing of the seasons, and in my research I realized that the art of haiku writing is the perfect form of creating that awareness. Haiku is a three line form of poetry (five, seven, and five syllables) that contains a seasonal word and often depicts a defining seasonal gesture. For my prayer flags I decided to write haikus inspired by UBC Farm. Written with attention to detail, marking the time and place of its creation, haiku can be used as a form of phenological data. While not traditional prayers per se, the haikus are created from a form of devotion, being written in a state of meditation, as one strives to be fully present in the moment. While my son was at the Farm Wonders camp, I headed out to the fields to write poetry about what I saw at the farm. I chose to install my flags near Sarah B.'s research orchard as a gesture of gratitude for the way she has taught and inspired me at UBC Farm.

No comments: