Resources

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Polka Dot Pie

It's definitely pie season and I cleaned out the fridge by making a raspberry blueberry peach pie. I should have put more fruit in the crust--I'm graduating from the rustic tart to the real pie, so there's a bit of a learning curve here for me.

The other night I went up to Queen E park to pick Oregon grape berries. The variety that is low to the ground are big and juicy. I boiled them up, strained out the seeds and sweetened with honey. This is really good medicine for me. It seems to give me energy and clear my head. I'd really like to dry some of these berries to make tea from in the winter. There are many Oregon grape plants around town, but many of them are too close to the road to use to make tea. I am also collecting my cornflower petals and drying them to use in this way. Tearoom T makes a blend called "Old Blue Eyes" that has cornflower petals in it and it makes a lovely fruity iced tea.

No comments: