Resources

Monday, November 15, 2010

Mid November Crunch

Most of the maples leaves have fallen and now other deciduous trees are losing their leaves. It's a misty moisty day, the kind of day that really puts the chill in your bones. It's 9 degrees C now and looks like it's going to freeze later this week. I brought in my lemon verbena plant for the winter.

Yesterday I went to Granville Island to see Lois's show. Remind me never to go to the Island on a Sunday. The bus service sucks and having to transfer twice and wait half hour intervals for the bus puts me in a foul mood. In fact, everyone at the market seemed to be experiencing their own personal hell. I was going to buy a drink from a vendor, but the guy behind the counter looked so drugged up and unhealthy I pegged him as a poster child for Hep C. Ummm, I'll take a pass on food from that place. I saw another vendor looking absolutely miserable, living for his smoke breaks, sucking on a ciggie in the rain which made him look even more unhappy. Then there was the woman I saw sitting and gazing at the harbor at dusk. She just had this incredible aura of loss, I was mesmerized.

The fancy dancer at the gallery cheered me up and gave me faith in the human race again. Her costume was beautifully beaded with designs of the Alberta rose. The dancer's fringe fluttered, her beading glittered and she looked absolutely beautiful performing her butterfly dancing. The smoky smell of the tanned leather filled me with nostalgia for the prairies. Thank goodness for the dancers among us.

No comments: