Resources

Friday, December 31, 2010

The Ins and Outs of 2010

Well, I've been reading the top ten lists that inevitably come out at this time of the year and some have resonated with me. The Daily Beast, for instance, picked up on the gluten free trend which seems to have really taken off and also the new interest in coconut, which has piqued my curiosity. I love coconut water and coconut flour certainly intrigues me. Eating local and urban farming is really hot right now and there is much demand for us to talk about our experiments with the Two Block Diet. Two of our group even ended up on the front page of the Vancouver Sun.

For me, this is the year that I got really tired of the food snobs. My personal approach to food has become much more humble, pared down and (I hope) respectful. I no longer seek the ultimate exotic taste sensation, but I want simple, reverent experiences with food, friends, and family. Let's face it--food snobs are bores and just end up whining about mediocre food ad nauseum. I'm sick of them and they are banished to sit in the corner with their jaded palates to keep them company.

Food is precious. I was touched when a man doing charitable work in Guatemala told me they eat their corn one grain at a time. Why? Because it is packed with more nutrition than our corn and because they are preparing themselves for a famine this year. That story makes me grateful for the richness of the food we have here in BC.

I heart bloggers. This is the year I really grew fond of the people who have no pretensions to stardom, but just share what they make and do for the sheer love of it. They are keeping it real and they inspire me. Sure, there are some bloggers who designate themselves worthy to freeload with impunity. You know who you are. Go sit in the corner. There's been a lot of blogger bashing going on in the media this year, ironically done by people who not too long ago were humble bloggers themselves. Methinks they do protest too much. Other people bash bloggers while desperately trying to re-invent themselves through social media because print is dying. Enough of the haters and the professional cynics. You, go sit in the corner with your lump of coal and your bitter self -loathing.

This is the year that coalition governments are in, budget cuts are in, the old party leaders are out and there's not much hope for any of our political parties. Bicycle lanes are in, and thank goodness we've got a mayor who is a man of action and stands by his principals. There's hope for us yet. Susan Anton can go sit in the corner too. She's out.

This is the year of celebrity Twitter. My in list is: Stephen Fry, who now has two million followers; Jamie Oliver, who tirelessly interacts with his fans; and comedian Ed Byrne who's wife just had a baby boy. Congrats!

Facebook is on everyone's lips, but I have still not joined because frankly my dear, I'd rather bake an apple cranberry streusel pie, like the one I just took out of the oven (Sid Goldstein's recipe).

This year I am ever more grateful for faithful friends. You rock!

No comments: