Resources

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Quilt Surgery

As part of my summer cleaning strategy I began to work on an old quilt that I bought years ago at an antique sale. It's a beautiful quilt, but in great disrepair and in need of some TLC. I decided to take the plunge and deconstruct the beautiful artifact even though it broke my heart. I knew that if I didn't take this on it would moulder in my closet for years gathering dust and moth holes. So here we are. I took the back off and discovered it had been lined with unbleached cotton batting. I removed the batting and made it into a big ball. I can imagine using this to line bumble bee houses. The back was a wool tartan. I tore it into strips and wound it into a sphere which I stitched together like a baseball. I may make that into a pin cushion. As for the rest of the fabric, I am going to color photocopy some of the pieces and make collages from them. This quilt was obviously used for many years as a much-cherished object. I hope I can make extend its life by this transformative process. I plan to the pieces I like best and frame them.




No comments: