Resources

Friday, July 18, 2008

MOP July 9

Last week at the MOP Nettle Lady and I continued to wrestle with broom and blackberry. This time I brought along my leather gloves and wore my real gardening pants to get right in there and do some serious work. However, I was so tired that the work seemed futile. So NL and I were relieved to hear that the MOP workers would help us out.

This little arbutus tree has more light to grow by now that the space around it has been cleared.

NL showed me how to tuck the edges of the brambles into a ball.

Last week I went to a talk on invasive plants and I learned just how invasive Scotch broom is. These seed pods are part of the problem. eventually, we should clear this patch out with a major work team and a tool called a weed wrench that will pull the stalks out by the roots. However, the soil is steep here and for now these plants prevent erosion.


It's a good thing we are pulling out the morning glory and false dandelion before they set seed.

No comments: