Resources

Friday, July 18, 2008

Curb Garden Deluxe

There is a beautiful curbside garden at Fraser and 7th which I discovered on my way home from MOP. It's a really good example of an excellent bee garden and pollination corridor. I had a wonderful encounter there with a woman who didn't speak English. She was Roma and she wanted to know how to save seeds to grow some of the flowers. I showed her the seeds from the cornflowers and she asked "Primavera?" I said yes, you can plant them in the spring.

Nigella and calendula. The seeds of Nigella are used in cooking too, and they are fun to collect.

Sedum is a good late-flowering plant for bees. Bumble bees go crazy for the sedum I have in front of our house.

The west side of the garden contains a few herbs.

I think these are larkspurs.

This plant has a dry, papery calyx.


This is the sage that's good for burning to purify your house. The gardener had left a pile of it on the side of the road, so I took one stem home and gleaned cornflower seeds from the rest of the debris. I like to go by this garden every week now to see how it evolves.

No comments: