Resources

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Doing Nothing

I am tired. It's a happy exhaustion, born out of the privilege of having a good long string of juicy gigs. Now I'm so worn out I've begun to make mistakes. The worst gaff this week was I lost all the digital photos of CornerFarm. Sigh. Luckily, Loiszing took beautiful photos and wrote a smart summary of the project on her blog.

I've been reading this great book about the healing power of ordinary things. It's by Dr. Larry Dossey. One of chapters is on the power of doing nothing. In our over-achieving, over-caffeinated society we forget about the healing pauses quiet spaces, and silences in our over-scheduled lives. Well, today Ulske is at home, sick. It's a grey, cold day. I have a headache from too much red wine last night at dinner. Have I mentioned I'm exhausted? So we're puttering. We're listening to a fabulous book on tape by Geraldine McCaugherean called Peter Pan in Scarlet read by Tim Curry. It is so brilliantly written that I want a copy of the book for myself. If you have a seven year old, go out and buy it now. What a great story. The old inhabitants of the original story return to Neverland and continue the adventure, with none of that sickly sappy Disneyfication of the tale. It keeps the dark edge that was in the original story.

Have you heard? It's Do Nothing day.

No comments: