Resources

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Fresh Scones

This morning I made my yogurt scones and we opened a jar of spicy pear jam that was a Christmas gift. I like those wee pots of jam that you basically eat in one sitting. The winds and rain are upon us and it's migraine weather with quick switches in temperature and air pressure.

I am in the print phase of the archive project which is very satisfying. Just sorting out the permission to reproduce an Edith Adams cookbook from the Vancouver Sun.

I've been reading Graham Hurley: One Under, which has a dry, slow start, but turns into a solid read. Now I'm onto his novel called Borrowed Light which has a much better beginning and is unfolding nicely. However, I do tire of big gangster characters. They rarely move beyond clichés and it always ends in tears and gore. Ho hum. His books tend to be very centred around males and his female characters are less complex, sometimes two-dimensional. I also read Deception by Denise Mina--well, skimmed more like. The main character is so weak and whiny, you really want to race through the book to get it over with. The ending is not believable. It's a concept book that doesn't really work.

Nice to have crisp, fresh apples again. I bought some this weekend at UBC Farm that rocked.
Trouble at Trafalgar's. They have a new chef who has taken my favorite items off the lunch menu and so far I am not impressed with his cooking. It seems he's just not that into lunch. That makes me sad, as I have been a regular there for years. Well, I hope the French Table will be open soon for lunch.

No comments: