Resources

Monday, October 24, 2011

Dinner and a Show

I've always thought it ironic that there's so many good ingredients to be found on Granville island, but the options for dining out are so limited. I'm happy that Edible Vancouver has upped the bar, but there is still room for improvement. Catherine and I had dinner there last week and we both ended up ordering exactly the same thing: their seafood soup, beet and kale salad, bread, and sangria.

I've had the Thai style soup before and I like it, but once again the broth should have been warmer. This time I had the larger size, which meant more broth, but the same amount of fish. The beet salad is beautifully presented--the new chef at Trafalgar's should take note. His presentation is sorely lacking and the dude serves kale raw that should be blanched. The sangria was too sweet for me. I wished I'd just ordered a glass of wine. Anyway, I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered sangria with this meal.

The menu at Edible Vancouver irks me because it doesn't really have a lot of choice if you don't want a big meal. The takeout menu often looks better than the regular menu and I didn't ask if you can order from the take-out menu if you're dining in. I'm assuming you can if you are nice and the server is having a good day.

The good news is that they seem to have toned down the yelling from the kitchen--I hope it stays down.

After dinner we saw the women from Gee's Bend who were so warm and strong and lovely and inspiring I still don't know what to say about it. Only that their work makes a lot of "modern art" look thin and bloodless in comparison and I like that. A lot.

No comments: