Resources

Monday, April 12, 2010

Swarms and Other Anxieties

Well, the bees swarmed on Sunday. I'm still on edge about it. Luckily we were able to capture them on the roof of an irate neighbor's garage. But they still sound unsettled. That roar sounds like they are not queen right. I worry. We really need a good supply of hive boxes on hand. In other words, if you are going to start a hive, double what you think you will need from the start. The next year, you might need to triple it and then you may have to find a good home for a new nuc.

Last night I was seeing bees swarming in my mind's eye as my migraine symptoms swirled in dark patterns in front of my closed eyes. The roar of the bees haunted me. The neighbor yelling at me put me into shock, my hands shaking as I waited for the bees to settle in the banker's box. It's not the bees that upset me so much, it's the humans I am afraid to deal with. I've walked on eggshells for too many years and it has traumatized me.

I had to walk to Broadway and Willow to rent crutches and a wheelchair for kinder, and then because it was such a nice day, I hooked the crutches in the chair and wheeled it home. We had wheelchair and crutches lessons in front of the house and tomorrow he will go back to school. I am in intense grant-writing angst just because I am waiting for information from other people. Oh well, that's what deadlines are for. Wait for the roar to settle, and if you believe it will settle then it will.

No comments: