Resources

Monday, April 5, 2010

The Bunny with the Shiny Eyes

I hopped down to the Baker's Market on Saturday looking for Easter novelties. This little bunny is filled with chocolate caramel sauce. Pop it in the oven for a few minutes until it looks like it's about to cry and then you know filling is melted it's ready to be gobbled up.

There were Belgian waffles and vegan cupcakes, decadent blondies and cookies of all kinds. I filled up a bag and slipped in a few treats for myself before heading to Thomas Haas to get a few chocolate eggs. I have such great memories of waking up to find Easter treats that I had to do the same for kinder.

We headed to the in-laws for baked ham and deviled eggs. I think the eggs were a low-calorie version this year. They seemed to contain distinctly less mayonnaise. Hmmm. I think I'll have to make some this week to really get past that craving I was building up for them.

The trilliums are blooming, but the weather is still overcast, chilly and just plain gloomy. When we've been in Europe the shops pull out all the stops for Easter, but this year I found the displays here really sad and you were lucky if you found a broken moldy rabbit for 50 percent off tucked in some bargain table in a sad corner.

Who would think I'd complain about the lack of capitalistic excess? A few colored eggs is all I ask for! Enduring symbols of rebirth and income tax season being almost over.

We don't eat ham much, so once a year is enough for me. We were given some to take home with us so today I made a post-Easter soup with beet roots and greens, split peas and ham.

Today the kinder had to stay in bed because just as we were heading home last night he twisted his foot. Ach du lieber. One minute P's sister is creaming us at Scrabble and the next, Ules is screaming in pain.

I didn't want to leave him alone in the house today while I went to get groceries so we had the hearty soup and Thai take-out for dinner. A strange combination, but when you're a hungry bunny, it tastes good.

No comments: