Resources

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Attacking the Invaders

This morning I sat in the window of Sweet Obsession watching a sun shower. The people next to me were trying to decide if it was only raining on one side of the street. I was eating a lemon danish--that is a very good flaky danish smothered in creamy lemon curd. It was a lovely middle class moment. (That's my new way of mocking myself.)

Later on, I was heading into our local library and there were two tiny blond girls squatting down and each staring into one eye of a little black pug. They are from the neighborhood and I see them around all the time with their dad. He is a fantastically patient parent. I think they are twins and one of the little girls has downs. The pug was grey around the muzzle, and very gentle and patient, letting the girls look right into the depths of its doggy soul. It was a bit uncanny really, like they were communicating on a level we can't begin to understand. Twins and pugs.

There is one corner of our garden that is overrun with ivy and blackberry and money plants, so I declared war today, attacking the roots with a shovel and pulling the vines off the fence. I owe it to my neighbor to get them out before they creep over into his garden. He's been really good this spring about keeping the ivy on his side in control. Good weeders make good neighbors.

No comments: