Resources

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Beekeeping is Multi-Tasking

We've had some crap weather lately and it's made me worry about the bees. Any time the wind calms down and the rain stops they are foraging like crazy, but I don't want them to go hungry. This afternoon as I went to clip some chard in the back yard for dinner I saw the bees were flying about. Even though I was in the middle of preparing supper I quickly mixed up a batch of sugar water and defrosted a pollen patty from the freezer by putting it on top of the warm stove. There I was, stirring the pasta sauce in my beekeeping suit. Oh la la. As soon as the sugar dissolved and the patty was room temperature I opened the hive and fed the ladies in record time. I noticed that they are running out of room, which is a good sign. Tomorrow we'd better get out there and put on more frames.

Kinder is hopping around today. At least I don't have to carry him to the bathroom. He's getting too heavy for that. He was also in a much better mood today. Yesterday he was moaning and whining, declaring "I'll never be able to walk again in my life!" What a drama queen. We'll have to look into getting him some crutches for a couple of days.

I have an Easter hangover. Too much chocolate and wine and then there's the sugar withdrawal too. Sigh. So I made two pans of blondies with white chocolate chips. I made one pan with cashews and the other with hazelnuts. This would be a good recipe to make with young children as it's about as basic as baking gets. It also satisfies my chocolate chip cookie craving when I can't eat migraine-inducing chocolate. I think the chewy hazelnut version, made with the nuts crushed into halves is my favorite.

2 comments:

MB said...

I hope the bees' dinner and the human's dinner never get mixed up! Love the image of you cooking in Beekeepers' suit and the fact that you made chocolate chip squares to salve your hangover! Happy Oestrus!

Beespeaker said...

Yes, that sounds like something Lucile Ball would do!