Resources

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Staring at the Window

Grants are like the bricks and mortar of the business of art. And the best thing about writing them is that they help you formulate your visions and make your ideas more concrete. What started as a vague niggling about moths many months ago is now a paragraph made up of several sentences, a materials budget, and a theme. It has color, texture, and drama and a context to live in.

Yesterday I was staring at our window sill at a gift someone gave me and suddenly I saw part of the installation in my mind's eye. I love when things resolve themselves that way. That's the best part. Then there's the struggle of actually getting what's in your brain into the real world. That's not always my strong suit, but I'm getting better at it.

I'm looking at a fuschia and purple sunset. The bees were calmer today and so was I. It was overcast. I bought parsnip seeds for J and bee garden seeds for mom. I saw my favorite waitress. The grant is almost done--I am just waiting on a quote from the insurance company. There were lots of bumblebees up and about today which is what I like to see. I found one poor dead queen on our front steps and put her aside to use as a teaching aid.

I am thinking a lot about felt and wool.

No comments: