Resources

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Junuary

It is the middle of June and I am in my long underwear. What gives? The sunny days that punctuate this cold spell are savored with frenzied enthusiasm. But we have another forecast of a rainy and cold weekend. It's crazy making.

This week was a culmination of much gardening activity for the school which saw the building of many funky trellises, weeding and transplanting. It was also the wrap up week for our choir, singing our final concert at a senior's home. I will miss the gals who sing around me and are great to giggle with. Now I have to get back to the uke!

My aunt who is 87 years old flew from Saskatoon to Vancouver to go to an Amnesty International conference. She was in very good form. She has become even more enthusiastic as she ages, and cares deeply about social issues. I made her a lentil curry on brown basmati, knowing she has been having teeth/denture troubles. She scarfed a huge plate and was very appreciative.

We are expanding our curry repertoire and Peter is downstairs making chapatis right now. The aroma is awesome.

I was at Whole Foods yesterday and there was this group of three people at one of the tables. They made themselves right at home to the point that one of them was sitting on the big communal table. I was incensed at how rude and stupid this was and really had to exercise a great deal of control to make a snarky comment. Arghhhh. I think I've been around too many people with big egos lately and I need a retreat.

It was also the week of amorous insects. I asked the students to meditate and observe bees and they saw copulating flies and ladybugs all over the school yard, making hay while the sun was shining.

Rumor has it that a vegetarian place is going in where Cipriano's used to be. Fingers crossed it will be good. The Nutella cheesecake at Mobius is awesome. Butter Bakery is now selling fudge. Shaktea is going to update their menu with more snacking plates. The garlic soup at Trafalgar's is to die for. Chai restaurant is now open on main after six pm. There is an amazing upmarket bakery in the DTES called Cadeaux. We've sampled some of Lucky's doughnuts and my favorite so far is the coconut bismark, but I think if they put the meringue from that doughnut on top of a lemon bismark that would be a most amazing thing. I'm also loving Organic Lives lemon coconut macaroons. (No, that is not a spelling mistake.)

No comments: