Resources

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Dreaming of Italy

I have been indisposed with back pains and so I stayed inside yesterday and read two mystery novels based in Italy in the summer. It's fantastic to read about oppressive heat when you are huddling under a pile of wool blankets in June. I nestled down with Aurelio Zen in Michael Dibdin's Medusa and Commissario Guido Brunetti in Donna Leon's Question of Belief. Both were highly satisfying novels full of good coffee, pastries, and fantastic little restaurants in out of the way places. Good summer reading, especially since it doesn't feel like summer.

I also struggled though Martha Grimes'  Rainbow's End, aka The Novel that Drove a Woman Crazy. So many loose ends, annoying extraneous characters, and a very tenuous plot. By the end I wanted to toss the book out the window.

My new favorite salad: papaya on greens with fresh snow peas, pumpkin seeds and Little Creek Dressing.

My new smoothie: papaya, ginger, lime, coconut water and kale.

We had a fun time at Car Free Days on Sunday. Tacos every two blocks! Fantastic made-to-order funnel cakes at Mobius. Mergues on a bun at the French Table.

There's a new restaurant opening on the corner of Main and 24. I am so glad they are painting over the green trim with brick red paint. Yay! Rumor is it will be vegetarian. I hope it's good, but my gut feeling it's just going to be a clone of another existing vegetarian restaurant aiming to cash in on this part of Main Street.

Cheesecake report: The last time I looked Mobius had Blueberry, Strawberry White Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cheesecakes.

No comments: