Resources

Monday, December 19, 2011

Winter Tacos

I've been jonesing for tacos this winter, and tonight I made some with sausage meat, a citrus cole slaw, and fresh avocado chunks tossed in salt, pepper and lemon juice. Eezy peezy. Jean gave us some of her fabulous ginger cookies, dark and buttery. Yum. We are also into the leek and feta pasta Peter used to make all the time.

I tried to read a documentary crime fiction novel by Michael Winter called The Death of Donna Whalen, but found it unreadable. I'm sure some people think it's brave and raw, but I think it's self-indulgent crap. If you are going to write about a real crime, you cannot pussy foot around the reality that you are creating entertainment from someone's misfortune. Writers have to have a killer instinct. You have to implicate yourself in this way, so why not forge a good novel at the same time? I hope someone uses his "notes" to create a decent book.

No comments: