Resources

Monday, December 12, 2011

La Grande Dame

P.D. James was brilliant on Q today (CBC Radio One), but Ghomeshi has to learn not to interrupt his guests. It really pisses me off. Let the interview flow more organically, dude. In spite of his quirks, P.D. James was gracious, elegant and profound. She is my favorite mystery writer. I kind of look like her too a bit, I think.

I read Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay yesterday. Fascinating story, but I felt it was a flawed novel. Sarah's narrative was much stronger than Julia's and should have been carried on further into her life. I also felt Zoe might have been a better choice as a narrator in some ways than her mother. The climax of the novel comes too soon. The ending is limp. I see it was made into a movie last fall. Maybe it works better as a screen play.

I sold out of gingerbread men at the market on Saturday--people are getting in the Christmas spirit. Singing at VanDusen was short and sweet. I can't hack those lights anymore though, they have gone OTT. Less is more, folks. I prefer floodlights on foliage rather than the Las Vegas treatment.

Peter bought clams at the market and made a lovely spicy tomato sauce with pasta with the clams in their shells on top. Even Ullie liked it. Shock!

No comments: