Resources

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Tourist Trade

I've said before I love helping tourists and today I helped a couple from New Zealand to get to Queen E Park. (I told them they MUST see Van Dusen Gardens.) They somewhat reluctantly told me they were from Christ Church, and their eyes filled with tears as they described the destruction in their city. Of course they come here to escape the trauma and I want to know all about their experiences. As gently as I could, I asked them about it. One quake happened at 4 am when everyone was in bed and it was dark. Another happened on a weekday when everyone was at work. They described liquification of land, raising of the river bed and that uneasy feeling of never knowing when another quake will hit. They were describing a form of post traumatic stress. They said every building in the city will eventually be inspected and rated for damage. Somehow I find that detail very poignant--the idea that everyone is waiting for a man or woman to bear witness to how well their dwelling bore the stress of the quakes and after shocks. Blessings to them on their journeys.

No comments: