Resources

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Summer Reading and Movies Too

I have officially begun my summer reading. The first book was A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley. It's part of a mystery series with a girl detective that is set somewhere in England. Since it revolves around a family of gypsies, I was hooked from the start since I just performed as one last week. Lots of lovely twists and turns, memorable quotes, quirky humor and chemistry. Woot! There's a new one coming out for Christmas and did I mention the author is Canadian? Tres bon.

The novel also captures that particularly viciously playful nature of girls in the strange relationships among the three sisters.

ETA: This afternoon I watched a movie called Turn Left at the End of the World directed by Avi Nesher. It's a comedy and a tear jerker that I thoroughly enjoyed and the relationships among the women are passionate and engaging. The movie is set in the 1960's in the Negev dessert where a girl who is Jewish Moroccan makes friends with a girl from India. I highly recommend it for summer viewing.

1 comment:

Jean said...

The Sweetness at The Bottom of the Pie is teh first in that series - equally awesome. Love Flavia de Luce!@