Resources

Monday, May 30, 2011

Plant Some Beans and Lighten Up

Today I plant the bush beans. I'll plant some in my raised bed and start some inside for the places I'll need to protect them from the slugs. Yesterday I harvested almost all the radishes and so I have space now. I've been eating radishes and kale almost every supper now in an attempt to lighten up my diet. "Lighten up" is my key phrase for the month. I've got to get rid of this tendency to plunge into anxiety as I get more and more tired from my busy season. Only about 28 more days to go before things really lighten up. The weather has also been my nemesis this spring. I do appreciate all the rain but the cold temperatures are getting on my tits.

Yesterday I harvested and culled bamboo in C's yard and we had a nice glass of iced bancha twig tea under the lilac tree chez-nous. My friend dropped off some wild garlic in a pot and also a few stalks to try. It is pungeant and fresh. I think this used to grow on the prairie. I have a sweet memory of a sunny day on a hillside with that same pungent smell coming from a plant with delicate white flowers.

I have been ironing fabric to prep it for my installation. I have to bite the bullet and start cutting now. It's that vulnerable stage between conception and realization. I hate this bit. This is where I wish I had a proper studio with a large clean cutting table, an industrial sewing machine and an assistant!

We've been enjoying the Ataulfo mangoes in smoothies with cardamon, yogurt and rosewater. P should be home soon. We sure miss him and he has been incommunicado as usual. All these new ways to communicate and not one word. Strewth.

1 comment:

MB said...

Looks like you've been having some lovely food adventures. Wish you could come over for some homemade rhubarb-ginger ice cream! Hope to see you in Vancouver end of July...