Resources

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

On the Nature of Performance

As we get ready to head off tomorrow I must say I am really looking forward to getting away from the daily duties of motherhood. I guess I've begun to realize how narcissistic performing can be. One has to really focus a lot of energy and attention inward. It takes up space and time in one's life and that's a big reason I haven't been doing much of it since I became a mother. On the one hand it feels like an indulgence, but on the other hand, it's a hell of a lot of work. However, it's the kind of work I love.

It's a challenge to fit performing into a mothering life. It's not a sustainable way to make a living. You'd have to have an incredible support system to do it full time, ie child care. I hope I can squeeze more of it into my life again as my son becomes more independent. He shot some of the video we'll use in the piece. Yes, we are so narcissistic we even get our children to work for us! I'm glad he gets to see me as a DIY kind of gal. Hopefully he'll be comfortable with creating his own projects from scratch. He often sketches and writes ideas down on paper. I love when he writes dialogue for video games.

My long-suffering partner is conscripted to burn sound CD's because he's so good at it and I can't be arsed to do it myself. I have lines to learn! I have costumes to wash and pack! I have to wash my hair! It's diva time.

No comments: