Resources

Friday, September 17, 2010

Gotta Lotta Tomatoes

I decided to take a look at the school garden and harvest the zucchini before the thief could take them. Yes, it's a problem. I guess we need a carnivorous plant to stand guard. Wouldn't that be awesome? Actually I should do that as a performance. I could have fun scaring the bejesus out of people. In fact, I think I spotted a would-be nick today. This willowy female person came by, poking around in the soil in a garden I know is not hers. I've got my eye on you, missus.

I saw that the tomatoes were splitting because of the rain so I harvested many pounds of them to ripen on school window sills. I hope we get a spell of dry weather again. I got three small zukes and another seven lemon cukes. I've got to hand it to that cucumber plant, it is prolific.

It is a stellar afternoon. I've just been out communing with the bees. They are in a frenzy, robbing a bit of honey from a frame J took out. At this time of the year we put back the honey we've taken off and consolidate the hive so they can get ready for winter. I'm going to pop a pollen patty in there tomorrow because I think they need more protein. I'm looking at gardens and seeing the signs of fall--drying plants and lack of blossoms. There is still sedum, rudbeckia, tree mallow, marigold, sunflower, and a few asters, but the food sources are really drying up. We don't want them to eat all the food stores before winter sets in.

No comments: