Resources

Friday, August 13, 2010

Peaches, Green Tomatoes, and Cookies

The main ingredients we are focusing on these days are Keremeos peaches and green tomatoes. I eat my peaches for breakfast with hemp hearts and chia seeds and for dessert they are dolloped with a teaspoon of whipping cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I put the green tomatoes from Keremeos in an improvised green gazpacho, with crunchy cukes, amaranth and onions from my garden, veg stock, water, lime juice and garlic. It may be re-invented as a green salsa for our block party tomorrow if I can find some decent tomatillos. It occurred to me you could also make an yellow lemony gazpacho with yellow tomatoes and yellow tomatillos.

Tonight I made cookies to sell at our yard sale tomorrow morning. I made some nutty cookies with hemp seeds and pecans, chocolate mint pinwheels and lime peel and lemon verbena shortbread. I've got to wake up early, put up the yard sale signs and clean the kitchen. Why am I baking in this heat? Because I am a crazy lady.

No comments: