Resources

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Iced Tea Tour

Those folks who know me well are familiar with my weakness for iced brewed tea in all its glory. I drink it all year round and it makes me very happy. There's something in the chemistry of it that puts me in a good mood and gives me courage. Sometimes, I admit I overdo it and my hands end up shaking with a caffeine buzz, which is what happened yesterday. I had two cups of a lemony citrus tea at this cafe in Linden Gardens. (See my post on Beespeaker Saijiki for more about the garden.) As Ules and Pietro played a game of Killer Bunnies (sigh), I wandered around the garden and tried to be very quiet so as not to startle the quails. They are very easily spooked however, and went flying off and sputtering in all directions every few steps I took. I really fell in love with that garden.

Later in the afternoon we stopped at the Preserved Seed Café in Chilliwack run by an alternative religious group that makes their own bread and grows a lot of their own food. I ate an excellent grilled turkey and mozza sandwich on a soft and malty spelt bun with a side salad topped with sesame sticks. I also had a glass of iced green tea which was not the best quality, but it was refreshing. I'm very spoiled by the quality of green tea at Shaktea in Vancouver. Some of the places that make good iced tea in Vancouver are Aphrodite's Organic Café, Trafalgar's, and Sophie's Comic Café. My live is mapped by journeys between these locations and others in search for the ultimate iced tea. What's your favorite recipe for a cool, refreshing iced tea this summer? I've been making lemon verbena tea from my plant. After brewing the tea, I let it cool and then pour it into my water bottle and add ice.

No comments: