Resources

Monday, August 2, 2010

Got Bundt?

After a narcoleptic Sunday, I finally had a burst of energy today and did some major tidying up in the garden. I also transplanted some tomato plants into the garden because their pots were too small and were cramping their style. The wild bergamot is blooming and the bumble bees are really excited about those frilly mauve blossoms.

I decided to bake today after discovering a recipe for a meatloaf made with ground turkey and quinoa. It's from a charming book called Nirmala's Edible Diary: A Hungry Traveler's Cookbook with Recipes from 14 Countries by Nirmala Marine. The recipes are inspired by the author's childhood and travels in South America. I modified her recipe to suit our family and did manage to get Ules to eat some of it. I also sautéd some amaranth from the Mayan gardeners at UBC Farm and made it the way the man who sold it to me suggested: with garlic and chilies.

Since the oven would be on I also decided to make a zucchini bundt cake from this recipe on David Lebowitz's blog which has a crunchy lemon glaze. It's made with olive oil and it's very moist. Highly recommended. We had it with some peach ice cream we made today in our ice cream ball.

No comments: