Resources

Monday, March 5, 2012

Back to Grains

It was a very domestic day here on the home front because of the teacher's strike. I cooked, cleaned the kitchen floor, did laundry and worked on my taxes. I am back to eating more grains since trying to cut out most starch. I found the diet didn't give me enough energy and hello, I gained weight instead of losing it. How did that happen? Also, I developed weird shooting pains in my legs--maybe a lack of a vitamin or mineral. So today I embraced the starch, baking buckwheat scones and making spaetzle with a wheat and spelt flour mix. I also made ginger grapefruit curd with an excellent recipe by 101 Cookbooks. It's destined to become a classic hit in the blogosphere and by using her technique I immensely improved the texture of my curd. I used two tablespoons of ginger juice instead of one, because I love INTENSE ginger flavor. Bring it on!

Dinner tonight: turkey meatballs, whole grain spaetzle, paprika fried oyster mushrooms and Transylvania style saurkraut from the market.

I have been watching episodes of Waking the Dead (BBC). Season 4 had three exceptional double episodes--really good plot lines and character development. I am on Season 5 now, which was not as strong. I also read an Irish noir mystery: Elegy for April by Benjamin Black. It really bugged me that there was no mention of the year or decade of the story. It is very writerly, somewhat macho, and sometimes gets bogged down in its own miserable tone, but otherwise I quite liked it.

No comments: