Resources

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Characters We Fall in Love With

Just watched Prayer of the Bone, part of the Wire in the Blood series based on characters created by Val McDermid. Tony Hill is one of my favorite fictional characters, especially as acted by Robson Green. He's a character that gets under you skin at first in an irritating way and then you don't want to let go. What happens to these characters we cling to? Do they call out to be re- imagined in dreams and other forms of fiction? Do we seek them subconsciously as we travel through life?

Yesterday I read Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny. Inspector Gamache is another of those characters one wishes they could "adopt" somehow. As I get older I find myself more and more attached to fictional characters. What does this mean, Dr. Hill? Daily interactions with humans leave me cynical and unfulfilled so I turn to fictional characters who have the capacity to empathize, to care and care for humans.

No comments: