Resources

Monday, November 7, 2011

Chick Peas at Last

Well, today is the last day I am tour guide Barbie for mom and dad. Today we went to Aphrodite's which was not a big hit. I think the food was a bit too healthy for my dad. He claims he had never eaten chick peas before. "These little round things--look like turkey nuts," he scowls comically. On Wednesday he turns 77. It's about time he tried chick peas. I say they are good for diabetics and he says "So does everything else that tastes like sh-t." Anyhow, he did like the chocolate pecan pie--diabetes be damned.

We've been hitting a lot of book stores and I was able to use my Green Zebra coupon. I also ordered a book from Banyen from the UK--they are totally cool about ordering books for customers. We bought some cute clothes for my little niece--she is so much fun to shop for: bling! purple! shiny!

Found a great book for dad about 100 photos which changed Canadian history, including the one called "Wait for Me Daddy!" by Detloff that I curated into the show. I think he'll like it. I bought a pumpkin roulade from Whole Foods for a celebration tonight. Everyone was admiring it as I carried it home on the bus.

We've been indulging in taxi rides and today one driver says he witnessed a man being chases by civilians after he stabbed someone on Robson Street. He said the crime in Vancouver is making people scared. Apparently the Hotel Vancouver has locked its doors because the protesters at the VAG were using the bathrooms and "stealing expensive things."

Another cab driver totally saved my ass by questioning whether I gave him the correct address. Turns out I was wrong. Doh. And the other night as I was pointing out the Olympic lights on Cambie, a cab driver with a gorgeous husky voice said, "Tell them about the bad stuff--the debts, the protests, and on and on." I am quite heartened by these lively denizens of the city. The art of conversation with strangers lives on.

No comments: