Resources

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Ultimate Bee Garden

If you knew you were going to die and you had time to prepare for it, what would you do? I would plant a bee garden. I would use the time to raise the money, find the space and design and create a fantastic garden. I love VanDusen Gardens, the Yorkshire Sculpture Gardens, and artist gardens I have visited and seen in photographs. I would create a garden inspired by these sources.

There would be historical physic gardens, a moon garden, a sunflower forest, and Victory gardens with heritage vegetables with examples of biodiversity in food crops. There would be the flowers I love in my mother's garden: the gladiolas and sweet peas. There would be the smelliest roses you can imagine--heritage rugosas that both my grandmas used to grow, the yellow bush roses in Luseland, Saskatchewan, and the fuschia roses in Bounty.

There would be apiaries showing the different kinds of bee hives as well as an indoor visible hive. There would be a stage for outdoor shows. A maze, a labrynth, and an orchard. There would be tree houses and whimsical topiary.

There would be a café serving fresh, local organic food. There would be water features, sound features, and places where people could explore their senses and refresh their souls.

It's fun to fantasize about the ultimate bee garden. How does your virtual garden grow?

No comments: