Resources

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Pizza Garden

What would you grow on a pizza garden? Well, according to a six year old boy attending a gardening workshop at World in a Garden, he'd plant anchovies. Cool. We had a fun time helping the kids paint garden signs, pick raspberries, pull garlic and plant just about everything but anchovies in the little round garden beds.

I spent the evening helping P cut the grass, which was no mean feat because it's only been cut once this year. And we have a push mower. I got down on my knees and used scissors for a part of this activity. I must admit the feng shui of the garden just feels better with the grass cut to a long, but reasonable length. I want to be able to set up a table and have dinner out there.

I watched a bee remove a pupae from the hive. Had she chewed its wings off? More ominous signs that our hive is not doing well. I'm very sad about this. The numbers are dangerously low. I think we need a nuc or a swarm ASAP.

Tomorrow I'm going to a forum on UBC Farm to try yet again to convince the university not to turn it into student housing. If you'd like to come you can find the info on the UBC Farm blog.

No comments: