Resources

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Tiny Bees

This morning I saw two tiny turquoise native bees on a sunflower leaf. It was magical. I am also seeing and hearing a lot of one particular kind of fly that looks a lot like a bit like a rusty-colored bumble bee with black legs. What a difference in scale and perspective from tiny sweat bee to large busty human. I was reading about how the little forget-me-not flowers we usually pull up at this time of the year are important to the tiny bees, so I am letting them go on as long as possible. Meanwhile the bumble bees are scrambling over the lacy climbing hydrangeas in front of our house. The pollen grains are huge. I don't even see the honey bees go near them.

I find it amazing how bees can negotiate us, these lumbering apartment-sized humans hulking around their food sources, creating havoc and casting giant shadows. How would we fare?

I arrived at school to see the mobile dairy education van pulled up in front of the building. When the kids went inside they let out a new black and white calf on its still ungainly legs. It's blinking those soulful black eyes at me and I am in love. Oh sweet little newborn, you are so lovely. It felt cruel to take this wee one off of his farm, but they usually only use a calf once, so that's okay.

No comments: