Resources

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Swallowtails and Watering Cans

Yesterday was the first day I spotted an anise swallowtail butterfly this year. It was bright and fresh, looking newly hatched. Then about five hours later, I saw a second one. Double blessings. Today I gave our garden a good soaking for the first time this year. I like the evening ritual of watering the thirsty soil. I picked a couple dozen strawberries too, and I'm finally getting the wood sorrel in the strawberry patch under control. I also got some bamboo and lavender ready for an event I'm participating in on Sunday at Colony Farm.

I was invited to a meeting with Tricia at World in a Garden at 57th and East Boulevard. What a lovely community garden. Tricia is a real firecracker full of fabulous ideas about community engagement and we are definitely on the same wavelength. What a joy it is to find a kindred spirit. (This is the point at which I start singing that song from the Anne of Green Gables musical.) Once again, I found myself heading to Kits where I bought a fabulous tote bag at a weird "pop up" charity store called "Scoop" (or was it "Poop", I forget). Some of the proceeds went to Arts Umbrella, so I felt justified spending the money! I had a rip snorting headache, which was cured by three Advil, and I devoured a veggie nut burger at Sophie's Cosmic Cafe. I defy anyone to be depressed in that place. I am really pissed off because the new formula for the Aveeno suntan lotion I buy is now heavily perfumed. Damned and blast it!

Peace and love to all.

No comments: