Resources

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Also

We are finally getting some truly seasonal weather today with a light breeze and full on sunshine. This is the first day of the year I think I've gone out in a t-shirt. It's been a hard week for the kinder, with his twisted ankle still not better and a loose tooth that is making eating really difficult. Today we found out his best friend is moving, so a pretty sad week all around. Meanwhile we are trying desperately to save the school he is going to from some devastating staff cuts. Sometimes life is just hard work.

I went to a plant sale in the neighborhood and bought a really nice angelica plant, some shallots, and lily of the valley. The K and C and I headed off to do a talk on the two block diet club at the Stone Soup Festival which was a lot of fun. It was perfect weather for the festival, and a local group was selling food to raise money for Ecuador, but the lineup for pupusas was so long we ended up at Sweet Cherabim for samosas instead.

I took my lemon verbena plant outside today and trimmed off a few branches so right now I am drinking iced lemon verbena tea with honey, lemon juice and peach juice mixed in.

I lived with a Greenlander for a while and I was just thinking about an expression he used to say, "also... aslo..." instead of "yeah..." or "uh huh...". It's a strangely comforting expression in English. I wonder what it is in Danish. It's as if it means "I'm adding your thoughts together for you." It's affirmative and gentle. Sometimes I say it to myself as my thoughts crawl up on top of one another. "Also... Also..." It makes room in your brain for reality to enter at a pace you can handle. Maybe it's a way to make worries spread out over time so they don't seem so devastating. More like ripples than waves.

1 comment:

MB said...

Also. Yes, I like it. Sometimes when I am worrying I just say to myself, OK, there you are, worrying. (in a non-judgmental tone of course!). Observing oneself, then letting it go.

Sorry to hear the kid's recovery is slow....