Resources

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Happiness is... Blood Orange Season


The weather is finally feeling less oppressive. Squirrels are cracking nuts all around the neighborhood. Blood oranges are in the stores! Woot! I love them and tonight I made a feast that featured the blood of the orange most ruby. I roasted a Polderside chicken, along with parsnips and carrots cut lengthwise. I cut some BC Brussel sprouts in half, steamed them, then sauteéd them in toasted sesame oil, then added some blood orange juice, salt, pepper and honey until they'd sopped up the flavours. I toasted some pine nuts and added them just before serving. We had a spinach salad with blood oranges and I had a dish of lox trimmings that we had as a little garnish. (I missed the crunch of bacon on the spinach salad.) Bevvy? Blood orange and lime juice. For dessert we had Liberty's fennel almond shortbread with a tea made of a blend of black, green and white tea leaves.

My son has started his own blog. Needles to say it will only appeal to die hard WoW fans so far, consisting mainly of screen shots. But at least he's creating his own narrative around it, which is good.

Art's Birthday is coming up soon. Stay tuned for cupcakes at the Western Front!

1 comment:

Winger said...

I will look forward to the cup cakes