Resources

Monday, September 2, 2013

Fall Rituals: Healing Honey

I thought I'd go back to using this space again to write about daily seasonal family rituals.

Last night was our Labor Day weekend  family Dinner with roast beef, green beans with almonds and bacon, and roast potatoes. Dinner was date squares with two kinds of ice cream made with coconut milk. Peter is very excited that his dad is now keyed onto making his ice cream without lactose since a good quarter of the family has problems with milk. The caramel coconut ice cream delicious, especially with a Barsac.

For the wine, we had a fun time guessing what was in the bottle, a gift from Poplar Grove that is an unlabeled mystery wine that we are supposed to enter our best guesses in their contest. The family guessed cab sauv, merlot, and shiraz in French oak. I can't remember the year we guessed, but C's knowledge of the history of the winery helped us out. Grandpa says it could use another 5 years in the bottle. We were able to eat outside and stay their until dark because it was such a warm day.

We also went shopping for back to school clothes for Ules and had sunch at Chutney Villa which was very busy. I picked a footlong zucchini at the community garden bed and now I've got to make a cake with it for sure.

This morning I got up early to write for an hour, then made scones from my recipes substituting creme fraiche diluted half with water for a treat. I ate mine with a very ripe peach, healing honey from Planet Bee we got in Vernon, and ground flax seed which I was inspired to add because we had it on the table at the yoga centre.

Today I get to put my books on new shelves. Yay! I also get to go to J's birthday, which will be a treat. This morning is cloudy and 18 degrees C.

I am wishing all of you a happy and productive fall.


No comments: