Resources

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Blackberry Chutney Crumble Squares

I made a plum pie this weekend (butter crust with streusal topping which was eaten with Ernest's Salt Spring Plum ice cream. At one point I added a spoonful of my blackberry chutney made out of the berries I'd macerated for the shrub. A light bulb went on: "I'm going to use this chutney to make bars." And so this morning I combined 1 c flour with 1 cup oatmeal, with 1/2 tsp baking soda, salt, 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 c coconut oil melted with 2 tbs butter. I pulsed a cup of the mixture in the food processor and pressed it into an 8" square pan. I spread a thin layer (just about 1 cm) of the chutney on top. Then I mixed some shelled pumpkin seeds into the remaining crumb mixture and baked at 350 degrees F for about 25 min.

I warned Peter they would be weird. "Why can't you make normal bars? Why do you always have to experiment?" he wined before tasting them. My family, the intrepid culinary explorers. Anyway he actually liked them. I think I will work on this and a recipe of some goat yogurt ice cream to go with them.

It's raining cats and dogs and veternarians today, be careful where you walk. We went out for sushi and I am soaked. The buddleia are dripping. I'm glad I brought my hops inside. This morning I plucked off the fruit in my pajamas while listening to Mr. Enright on CBC radio learning to bird by ear on his excellent "Sunday School" segment on The Sunday Edition.

I have just learned we are losing our local  Legion. End of an era.

I have been watching a lesbian love drama called Last Tango in Halifax which is excellent, but the person who put it on the internet did their own edit, which was unfortunate. This led me to a musical comedy series about dueling choirs called All the Small Things. Some of the characters hit me as being a little too close to home.

And of course I am reading about bees, bees, and more bees. My overdue fines are astronomical. Must do better.

No comments: