Resources

Friday, January 4, 2013

Retro Potato

I gave our son a cookbook from The Sugar Cube, a "badass dessert food cart" in Portland run by pastry chef Kir Jensen. I love this woman's attitude! We are having a simple casual dinner party tonight, so I made the salty caramel sauce this afternoon for pouring on ice cream. Her directions were easy to follow and spot on. We're having salmon, salad, and a retro potato casserole with a recipe from dear MIL. It involves a can of cream corn, minced onions, and thinly sliced potatoes. I looked at the ingredients in cream corn and balked at the idea you would actually add sugar to corn, so I could not bring myself to buy it. Beloved is making the dish, so I will turn a blind eye to the travesty. I would have used frozen corn and "creamed" it myself.

The sun has left us again, which makes me feel somewhat bereft. I have started the new year on a melancholy note, immersing myself in episodes of the British Wallander. This makes me miss the Swedish production which is SO MUCH BETTER. Instead of one actor hogging all the close-ups, and practically every scene, I miss the complexity and warmth of the supporting actors in the original series and I am so sick of Mr. Drama King Branagh. Wallander was written for a different sort of actor. Anyway, same lovely haunting theme song, although not enough of it.

No comments: