Resources

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Night Skies and Tiny Mushrooms

Sometime last night before falling asleep I felt as though I had had enough. Enough buying stuff for the big day. I just want to put my feet up and RELAX.

We woke to find snow on the rooftops and so I put on my boots and headed to school with the boy so I could continue down the hill to Book Warehouse. I am happy BW is local and it's still here, but I must say, the cookbook collection was thin on the ground and left me depressed. Then I went to Chapters and got even more depressed. I know I needed to go to Barbara Joe's but it is hard for me to get there. Anyway, I did buy a couple of books and then headed to Banyen Books to get another book for Peter. I miss the big old Duthies book store down town where you could lose yourself in the scope and variety of books. It was the kind of book store that was full of possibilities and hidden treasures. I really miss those kinds of stores, the kind of places I spent many hours in on my trips to London, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Birmingham.

I wore my big furry hat, but it was too warm as the day went on, the snow turned to rain, then sleet, then hail and finally the sun came out. By then I was tired on my feet and headed to the number 7 bus stop to go home. I was waiting with a smiling senior wearing an awesome turban. She sussed that something was not right and she'd been waiting too long. Sure enough, a bus driver coming down the hill told us the seven was stuck in traffic. I jumped on his bus to go to Macdonald and we saw what the problem was: a protest parade in support the Rainier hotel. A float with black helium balloons and faux coffins was followed by a group of mourners in gothic finery. It was arresting.

And so now all I have left are my crafty gifts. I am currently obsessed with creating little night scenes and I am looking for miniature toadstools and gnome-related imagery. Yes, gnomes are trending right now. Well, at least they are in our household!


No comments: