Resources

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Valentine's Post Card

Happy belated Valentine's Day. Hope you had a good one. We need that shot of red and pink colour therapy at this time of the year and lots of chocolate therapy as well. I decided to thaw some tayberries we had picked last year, just after Canada Day. It was a good occasion to celebrate the gutsy flavor of this cross between raspberries and blackberries. I bought some Avalon cream and added it to a pulp I made by simmering the berries until soft and them putting them through the moule. This takes out some of the seeds. I added a bit of wildflower honey, cooled the mixture and then added the cream. I put it in the Donvier, but realized it hadn't been in the freezer long enough to do its magic, so I had to make ice cream the old fashioned way by putting the mix in a metal pan and then stirring it up with a fork after each freeze. It was tedious, but we pulled through. I heated up some of Wendy Boys' chocolate raspberry sauce to drizzle on top. It was bloody gorgeous. We had ribs with BBQ sauce, rice, and a funky Waldorf salad I made withe red cabbage, apples and walnuts, all from local farms. I also picked up some paté from Benton Brothers on Cambie and discovered that they make good sandwiches there too.

No comments: