Resources

Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Beets Go On

I've been experimenting more with veggie prints and now I have a series of nine flags sewn together with thick rickrack. The asparagus was very tricky to work with--difficult to cut in half so that it lay flat. I also had to add the "leaf" bits using a bit of foam to print with. I'll take better photos of them tomorrow. I was losing the light.

For my artist date today I headed to Gala Fabrics on South Granville and found they were having a sale. The men in the shop were very helpful and pleasant (unlike experiences I've had at Dressew). South Granville was very quiet. Businesses outside the Olympic zones are experiencing at least a 30 per cent drop off in sales.

I should have left a slightly larger frame of backing fabric around the edges and more at the bottom. I like the look of the rickrack, but today I bought seam binding because I think it will be easier to use.

I'm excited about using up the bits and pieces of old fabrics I have been hoarding for years. It's very cathartic! I'm going to make a series of these flags to sell at the school flea market. They'll have to be quite steep though because of the amount of time they take to make. I enjoy it as a meditative exercise, but it's not a moneymaking enterprise! Anyway, I will be able to use my experience to help the students make their flags for our garden celebration at City Hall on May 2.

Now we have some good karma flags for our kitchen!

No comments: