Resources

Friday, September 5, 2008

Seed Saving Expedition

I got permission to glean some flower seeds at UBC Farm, so we headed up there after school. Someone asked me how I save seeds. Well, it's something I have done since I was a wee girl, so my methods are simply intuitive. The trick is to get the seeds when they are ripe and not damp, and make sure they are totally dry before you store them. If you they are not dry when you store them in glass or plastic, chances are the seeds will rot. Also, make sure you have them in mouse-proof containers, because mice love seeds!

This is a calendula seed head, on the left centre of the photograph. You can pull the whole head off and put in a paper bag. Then you take it home and sort the seeds from the other parts of the flower. I love the texture of seeds and their sculptural quality. These seeds will be used to make seed-balls for bee gardens.

The kids each found a four leaf clover!


My neighbor loved these pink hollyhocks.

The cosmos haven't gone to seed yet. They are good late foraging plants for bees.


I can never remember what these are called.

I had to do a bit of a repair job with a needle and thread on one of my flags.

The poplar grove is all cleaned up for Feast of the Fields. Looks like a great place for a picnic, and more strings of prayer flags!

We had to do some berry-picking because the blackberries are ripe and juicy. Ulske wants to save some to make jelly. Sounds good to me!

No comments: