Resources

Thursday, September 18, 2008

I Love my Son

Today is the day we look forward to as a family--the day when the Martha Stewart Halloween issue arrives. My son pored over it while I made pizza for dinner. He is chatty, critical, delighted, and opinionated, making comments about the ads, the costumes, and the party favors. We agree the fake cockroaches look too real. He thinks the tin man costume looks weird. I like it. The lion's cute, but the scarecrow doesn't cut it. The brownies look delicious but the squash lasagne looks disgusting, he says.

Peter's been having meetings this week, so Ullie and I have done some bonding over Martha and movies. We watched Hoot last night, about kids who defy construction workers to save Burrowing Owls. "It's just like UBC Farm," I say. They want to bulldoze it. He looks at me like I'm crazy. He wants to watch Hoot again tonight. I can suffer through the wooden acting, the heavy-handed schtick because the message in the film is a good one: a small group of concerned citizens can save members of a protected species. The shots of Florida are lovely, and some of the acting isn't too bad. There's a very good short in the added features about how you can attract wild life to your back yard. Ulske tells me we should project that on the big screen at school. My thoughts exactly.

No comments: