Resources

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Puttering

After five days of intense grant writing, I am taking a day off to putter in the garden. Whatever you call it--frittering, puttering, pottering about--I love it! I do the seed-saving rounds on my flowers and let them dry in cake pans in the porch. I pick the scarlet runner beans that are finally arriving and growing at an alarming rate.


This one little batch of blanket flowers was the best $3 spent on a plant this year. It's blossoms have been very long-lived. Next year I'll grow some from seed. They grow wild on the prairies around my childhood home.


The one patch of nasturtiums that survived the aphids has been given new life by the Indian summer.
Harvesting carrots, watering the tomatoes, finding the rare pea pod, and pulling up dead plants: all these things are good for the soul. Happy puttering everybody!

No comments: